England Squad Euro 2012

Can't be geeks all of the time

England Squad Euro 2012

Postby nS on Wed May 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Goalkeepers
Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders
Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea).

Midfielders
Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards
Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur).

Standby list
Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

For me Downing is a poor choice, Adam johnson on limited games has scored more goals and looks far more dangerous than he is. Also I think carrick should be included over milner. He has hardly played for city this season and carrick has had agreat season with united. Still not sure on the inclusion of Andy Carroll but can understand the need of a big striker.
nS
«Ki» Member

Re: England Squad Euro 2012

Postby Subs on Wed May 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Just the generally obvious choice there, no real surprises always going to be like "shoulda put x in instead of y" cause people all prefer different players. Get in oxlade-chamberlain my mate played at portsmouth?(dont quote me on that) academy and he was there aswell.
R.I.P Patrick
"Gone but not forgotten, his soul still lives within us all."
Subs
«Ki» Member

Postby nS on Wed May 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Ox is from Southampton.
nS
«Ki» Member

Postby An-D-D on Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Glad that Chamberlain is going - I think he could be a real threat. Players will be scared of his pace.

I agree that Downing is a terrible choice, never have rated him and I think the season he had sums him up.

I'd rather have Carroll than Crouch - don't rate either of them that much but I think Carroll has more potential, and we always need a last resort sub.

I don't think Barry should be going. Parker is better at that job and we don't need another defensive player. I think it was right to leave out Carrick as he brings nothing to the team in an attacking sense.

I'd rather have Sturridge than Defoe. He's played a lot more than Defoe this season and has a lot of potential.

I really hate the way we set up to play at the moment anyway. I think trying to play with a holding midfielder or sometimes two is such a negative way to play. Just because the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Spain, etc, play this way, doesn't mean we should try and copy it. We don't have the players to play that way. It relies on having 4-5 top quality attacking players that are capable of quick, intricate passing. We don't have that quality, we need 6 players with attacking capability, so to have one or two defensive midfielders is such a waste in my opinion. England have always thrived on a quick, aggressive attacking style (have to go back to Euro 96/France 98 to see this sort of play really). Ever since we've had a foreign manager, we've started to try and copy foreign teams. I say stick to 4-4-2, and have your midfield attack and defend as a unit.
An-D-D
«Ki» Member

Postby nS on Wed May 16, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes I think if we had wiltshere we would have someone in middle of midfield that could support the play more. Can't remember what match it was but when we had parker/wiltshere we looked alot better in the middle. Problem we have is if we don't provide play for rooney he tends to drop to deep. Hopefully having welbeck who likes to stay up top for united in the same fashion while rooney drops off. The biggest problem I've seen in recent england games that the strikers have had nothing to work with. We need to provide better balls/link up play into them. Not just default to our MF holding it on the edge of the half way line.
nS
«Ki» Member

Postby CLouD on Thu May 17, 2012 12:41 pm

First thing I saw on facebook was "Wow what a selection, nice one roy quater finals at best" Have we ever been anything more than a Quater final team anyway? lol

Personally I don't think its a bad selection, Michael Carrick didnt want to go to the euros because he would spend most of the time sitting on the bench, which at his age is fair enough, he doesnt need the experience of going to a euro championship.

Carroll > Crouch, Carroll is much stronger, as a target man he is more what we need, Crouch is an alright strker but I think Carroll gives us that little bit more.

Sturridge or Defoe, really couldnt care less to be honest, my view on it is Sturridge has shown this year he is capable of getting us goals, but as a Chelsea fan and having been to numerous games this season and watched Sturridge in action he is unbelievably frustrating to watch, he has moments of pure brilliance but is still so greedy. Holds onto the ball too long and tries to do too much is why I edge for Jermain Defoe, hes more expereinced and all though may not have done as much as Sturridge this year he is probably the better choice.

Glad the Ox is in there, could be a suprise package this tourny, could be his tournament.

In terms of formation I can see us going to 451

Hart
Johnson
Terry
Cahill
Cole

Parker
Gerrard
Barry (would rather have milner but Barry just sneaks in every time somehow)

Young
Chamberlain
Carroll (Rooney when hes back)

My view...
You will totes find me in the kitchen at partiesssssssss!!! xD
What doesn't kill you will only fuck with you mentally!!! ;)
CLouD

Postby sKiN on Thu May 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Where's Hesky in this line up! haha

Raging since 1980
sKiN
«Ki» Member

Postby CLouD on Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 pm

sKiN wrote:Where's Hesky in this line up! haha

He's like Michael Jackson, He is now white and called Andy Carroll.
You will totes find me in the kitchen at partiesssssssss!!! xD
What doesn't kill you will only fuck with you mentally!!! ;)
CLouD

Postby Brodie on Thu May 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Andy Carroll is underated! :D

He is a pain in the ass to defend against and will make oppurtunities for us, with lamps and rooney cleaning up. Sometimes Defoe.

I can't wait to win the Euro, it should put us in good shape for the world cup!
:D
#Official Comedian of i42
#Official Captain of Team Brodie FlipACuppaSucker champions i46

#Fail disco http://gifsoup.com/view6/4069267/disco-fails-o.gif
#Fail Gutrug #Win Viden http://gifsoup.com/view4/4069610/viden-owns-gutrug-o.gif
(._.)Short term frustration when making decisions, which is why long term problems always occur(._.)

Less than Toro!
Brodie
«Ki» Member

Postby nS on Thu May 17, 2012 5:18 pm

I predict us to be 2nd in our group and lucky at that. Then get knocked out straight away.
nS
«Ki» Member

Postby videNNN on Thu May 17, 2012 5:51 pm

@nS: Carrick ruled himself out. He said he didnt want to be a "squad player, sitting on the bench during this time in his career"
videNNN
Ki community member

Return to Sports